United Way of Inner Wisconsin
United Way of Inner Wisconsin News
- A total of 340 volunteers helped rake a total of 74 yards during the Day of Caring event on October 24th, and in the weeks following.
- Additionally, six grocery bags of personal essentials were collected and donated to Acorn Apartments, a low income apartment building for special needs individuals. Day of Caring is an annual day of volunteering, organized by United Way of Inner Wisconsin’s Volunteer Center.
- “Despite the rain on October 24th, we still had 315 volunteers turn out to rake 60 yards, which is phenomenal!” said Amy Fluno, Day of Caring Coordinator. “But then we had such great weather afterwards, and such wonderful volunteers who stepped up at the last minute to help out. We were able to rake an additional 14 yards for households that either got missed Oct. 24th, or were on a waiting list.”
- The residents who had their yards raked also appreciated the volunteers. Some comments from their follow up survey include:
- “I enjoy the interaction with the volunteers and appreciate the help since raking and bagging is more than I can do now.”
- “I am so grateful for this service, as I am a senior citizen and have health issues.”
- “The volunteers did a good job considering the rain and wet leaves.”
- Wisconsin Rapids Noon Rotary and Wisconsin Rapids Kiwanis for sponsoring the t-shirts.
- Grand Rapids Lion’s Club for hosting the event, providing volunteers, and donating food, napkins, paper plates and utensils.
- Pepsi Co. for donating the soda and water.
- Subway for donating cookies.
- Quality Foods IGA – West Grand Ave. for a food discount.
- The Youth Advisory Committee, who volunteered their time to help coordinate many aspects of Day of Caring.