United Way of Inner Wisconsin
The 2013 Holiday Give & Get Help Guide
VOLUNTEER. Give of your time... volunteer. If interested in any of these volunteer opportunities, call the Volunteer Center at 715-421-0390 or visit www.volunteerinnerwisc.org
- Aging and Disability Resource Center (South Wood Co.) - Like Caroling but not the singing? Bring tidings of comfort and joy to home bound neighbors by becoming a Home Delivered Meals volunteer!
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner (Wisconsin Rapids) - Event is held at St. Luke’s Church, Wisconsin Rapids, on Thanksgiving Day. Volunteers are needed to help in the kitchen, to deliver meals, to greet and wait on participants, and for set-up and clean-up.
- FamilyWize Prescription Drug Discount Card “5 and 5” Campaign- FamilyWize cards help people who have no prescription drug insurance save up to 30% on their prescriptions. Please take 5 minutes to help 5 people. Give cards away to anyone you feel could use it. United Way of Inner Wisconsin will provide the cards.
- Heart of Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteers needed to assist with office duties and selling gift certificates. Help spread the “Buy Local” holiday message in south Wood County!
- Hope’s Door (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteers are needed to help sort gifts and get them ready for distribution to families in need. Volunteers are needed from Dec. 9 - 13; and from Dec. 16-21, 2013.
- Literacy Council of Wood County- Volunteer tutors are needed for the Financial, Health and Computer Literacy programs that take place during the holidays. Can you give an hour per week?
- Nekoosa Area Hometown Christmas- Volunteers are needed to help with “Breakfast with Santa” on December 7, 2013 at 7:30am at the Retirement Community of Nekoosa. Volunteers are also needed for the Reindeer Run 5K Run/Walk on December 7 at Goodfellas - to assist with registration. Event begins at 9:00am.
- River Cities Community Access (Wisconsin Rapids)- Community producers are needed to videotape local holiday programs and Christmas concerts in south Wood County. Volunteers must be trained (second Wednesday of each month at 5pm).
- Riverview Hospital Association (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteer drivers are needed to deliver nutritious meals to area residents during the holidays and throughout the year.
- Salvation Army (Adams County)- Red Kettle volunteers are needed to ring bells at various locations starting November 22, 2013. Two hour shifts.
- Salvation Army (South Wood County)- Bell ringers are needed.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Volunteers are needed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day to assist with morning cat care and kitchen duties (dishes, laundry, general cleaning). Volunteers must complete volunteer application prior to volunteering.
- Villa Pines Living Center (Adams County)- Volunteers are needed to help wrap Christmas gifts for the residents on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 1:45pm.
DONATIONS. Give help for the holidays. Call United Way’s 2-1-1 for more information or to get help.
- Adams County Angel Tree- Pick up a paper angel at participating locations: Adams County Courthouse, Curves, Grand Marsh State Bank (Grand Marsh and Friendship), BMO Harris Bank, Nekoosa Port Edwards State Bank and Royal Bank. Each angel represents a child and includes gender, age and gift request. Deliver wrapped gifts back to the location by December 9, 2013. Gifts will be delivered on Dec. 13th. Cash donations can also be sent to: Angel Tree Kids, PO Box 561, Friendship, WI 53934. To apply for the program, stop into Adams County Human Services from Oct. 7 - Nov. 15, 2013.
- Hope’s Door (Wisconsin Rapids)- Toys for the “Christmas for Kids” program can be donated through Toys for Tots. People can also donate new clothing or gift cards by Dec. 4. To receive a gift, fill out an application by Dec. 4, 2013. 715-421-2622. Hope’s Door is open Monday-Wednesday, 9am - 4pm.
- Star of Love Tree / Rapids Mall (Wisconsin Rapids)- Star of Love Tree is displayed at Rapids Mall until December 4th. Select a Christmas card with a child’s age, gender and interests. Drop off wrapped gift and Christmas card at the Senior Craft Shoppe in the Rapids Mall by December 4th. Gifts are distributed by Hope’s Door. To receive a gift, apply at Hope’s Door by December 4, 2013.
- Toys for Tots (Adams County)- Adams-Columbia Electric Cooperative will be collecting toys and monetary donations. Please drop off donations at 401 E. Lake Street, Friendship until Dec. 13th. For more information visit www.friendship-wi.toysfortots.org. To receive a toy donation, please apply at Adams County Health and Human Services, 108 East North Street, Friendship. Hours are Monday-Friday 8am - 4:30pm. Applications will be available until November. 15, 2013.
- Toys for Tots (South Wood County)- Deliver new unwrapped gifts to one of the South Wood County locations from Nov. 1 - Dec. 10, 2013. Call 2-1-1 or visit http://wisconsin-rapids-wi.toysfortots.org for a complete listing of locations. Toys should be new and under $30. To receive a gift, please register through Hope’s Door by Dec. 4, 2013.
- Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department Christmas Toy and Gift Drive- Donate new and gently used unwrapped toys or monetary donations. Gifts will be distributed by social workers and school counselors at the Wisconsin Rapids School District. Monetary donations are used to purchase gift certificates for older children. Donations of clothing also accepted. Drop off donations to either fire department location Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm by December 18. Monetary donations can be dropped of at Fire Station One or mailed to: Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department, Attn: Mike Lisitza, 1511 12th St. S., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494. For more information call 715-421-6277. To receive a donation through this program, contact your school social worker or school counselor.
- Wood County Human Services - Christmas Cheer Club- Individuals and organizations needed to buy Christmas gifts for local needy children. $30 max. per child, please. Gifts must be ready for distribution the week of Dec. 16th. Please call Jodie Knuteson at 421-8662 before Nov. 8th for more information on sponsoring one or more children. Cash donations and gift certificates for teenagers are also appreciated. Please make checks payable to Wood County Human Services Dept., and mail them to: Wood County Human Services Dept., Attention Jodie K., PO Box 8095, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495-8095
- Adams County Food Pantry- Donate canned goods, dry goods, and personal care items. Monetary donations accepted. Call 608-339-0273 to receive a food donation.
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner (Wisconsin Rapids) - Event is held at St. Luke’s Church, Wisconsin Rapids on Thanksgiving Day from 12-1:30pm. All are invited to participate.
- South Wood County Hunger Coalition- Donate non-perishable foods that are nutritious and wholesome, such as low sodium canned vegetables, whole grain products, etc. Food that is donated to the South Wood County Hunger Coalition will be distributed to local food programs, including food pantries and backpack programs. Bring donations to the United Way of Inner Wisconsin office. 715-421-0390. To get help, call United Way’s 2-1-1.
- Thanksgiving Day Dinner (Adams County) - Event is held at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Adams on Thanksgiving Day from noon to 2pm. All are welcome; no charge. For deliveries, call the Senior Center by Nov. 18th: 608-339-4251 (Meals on Wheels participants only). Monetary donations accepted to purchase food.
- Coats for Kids (Adams County)- Donations of gently used outerwear can be dropped off at Practical Cents, marked “For Coats for Kids,” during normal business hours. Monetary donations can be mailed to Laurie Falash, 1929 W. 13th Ct., Friendship, WI 53934. 608-547-6829 after 4:30pm.
- Coats for Kids (South Wood County)- Donate new and gently used winter wear (coats, snow pants, hats, mittens). Every coat size welcome. Drop off at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Rapids Mall and Wal-Mart between Oct. 28 - Dec. 15, 2013.
- The Lowell Center (Wisconsin Rapids)- Donations of mittens, scarves, hats, gloves, and non-perishable food items will be collected at the Lowell Center during November and December. These items will be donated to The Family Center and to local food pantries in time for the holidays. 715-421-1051.
- Operation Warm (Adams County)- Make a monetary donation; new coats are purchased in volume at a discounted price and distributed to needy individuals. Contact Laurie Falash at 608-547-6829.
- Operation Warm (South Wood County)- Make a monetary donation; new coats are purchased in volume at a discounted price and distributed to needy individuals. Visit www.operation warm.org/wisconsin-rapids to donate online or contact the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Dept.
- South Wood County YMCA Give the Gift of Warmth- Donate NEW, hats, mittens, gloves and scarves to help decorate our “Gift of Warmth Tree.” Drop off items at the Port Edwards or Wisconsin Rapids YMCA locations November 25 - December 13, 2013. The YMCA will connect with members in need. Remaining items will be delivered to the Family Center prior to the Christmas Holiday.
- Wisconsin Rapids Area School’s Caring Closet - Keep Kids Warm- Donations of coats, boots, snow pants, winter hats, gloves, mittens and scarves are accepted at Caring Closet. 715-424-6730 x3174. Students who need outer clothing can come to a distribution event Nov. 16, 2013 from 9am-12pm at East Junior High School; or contact their school social worker or counselor.
- Literacy Council of Wood County- The following items are needed for Financial, Health and Computer Literacy programs that take place during the holidays: three ring binders, manila folders, colored copier paper, digital camera, Kindle or Nook, laptop locks, wireless computer mice, play money (especially coins), flash cards, large-print books, checkbooks (“fake” checks and registers), waterless hand sanitizer, personal tissue packs. 855-483-7229.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Donate holiday crafts, Christmas decor and baked goods/snacks to the Christmas Bazaar which will be held December 7, 2013 at Steve’s Rental and Service (940 Huntington Ave, Wisconsin Rapids) from 9am-4pm. Call 715-423-0505 for more information.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Donate broken or unused Christmas lights and aluminum cans. These materials are recycled and the proceeds benefit the Humane Society. 715-423-0505.