United Way of Inner Wisconsin
The 2014 Holiday Give & Get Help Guide
VOLUNTEER. Give of your time... volunteer. If interested in any of these volunteer opportunities, call the Volunteer Center at 715-421-0390 or visit www.volunteerinnerwisc.org
- Aging and Disability Resource Center (South Wood Co.) - Like Caroling but not the singing? Bring tidings of comfort and joy to home bound neighbors by becoming a Meals on Wheels volunteer!
- American Red Cross (South Wood County) - Give the gift of hope. You never know when an emergency will happen. You can be trained and ready to help. Provide disaster relief, teach lifesaving skills or prepare adults and children to cope with disasters. Utilize your talents and time building a safer, more resilient community and giving HOPE to those in need. Expect a long-term commitment that is flexible to fit your needs.
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner (Wisconsin Rapids) - Event is held at St. Luke’s Church on Thanksgiving Day. Volunteers are needed to help in the kitchen, deliver meals, greet and wait on participants and for set-up and clean-up.
- FamilyWize Prescription Drug Discount Card “5 and 5” Campaign (South Wood and Adams Counties) - FamilyWize cards help people who have no prescription drug insurance save up to 30% on their prescriptions. Please take 5 minutes to help 5 people. Give cards away to anyone you feel could use it. United Way of Inner Wisconsin will provide the cards.
- Heart of Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteers needed to assist with office duties and selling gift certificates. Help spread the “Buy Local” holiday message in south Wood County!
- Hope’s Door (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteers are needed to help sort gifts and get them ready for distribution to families in need. Volunteers are needed from Dec. 15-18, 2014.
- Nekoosa Area Hometown Christmas- Volunteers are needed to help with “Breakfast with Santa” on December 6, 2014 at 8:30am at the Retirement Community of Nekoosa.
- River Cities Community Access (Wisconsin Rapids)- Community producers are needed to videotape local holiday programs and Christmas concerts in south Wood County. Volunteers must be trained.
- Riverview Hospital Association (Wisconsin Rapids)- Volunteer drivers are needed to deliver nutritious meals to area residents during the holidays and throughout the year.
- Salvation Army (Adams County)- Red Kettle volunteers are needed to ring bells at various locations starting November 14, 2014. Two hour shifts.
- Salvation Army (South Wood County)- Red Kettle volunteers are needed to ring bells at various locations.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Volunteers are needed on Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Eve and Day; and New Years Eve and Day to assist with morning cat care and kitchen duties (dishes, laundry, general cleaning). Volunteers must complete volunteer application prior to volunteering.
- Thanksgiving Day Dinner (Adams County) - Event is held at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Adams, 243 N. Linden St. on Thanksgiving Day from noon to 2pm. Volunteers are needed Wednesday, Nov. 26 to help cook and set up from 9am - 12pm; and on Thursday, Nov. 27 to help serve, assist in the kitchen and clean up.
- Villa Pines Living Center (Adams County)- Volunteers are needed to help wrap Christmas gifts for the residents on Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 1:30pm.
- Wisconsin Veteran’s Home at King- Volunteers are needed for a wreath placing ceremony Dec. 13, 2014 at 10am at the Wisconsin Veteran’s Home at King Cemetery. Volunteers place a wreath at the grave sites. Afterwards there will be a presentation and refreshments.
DONATIONS. Give help for the holidays. Call United Way’s 2-1-1 for more information or to get help.
- Adams County Angel Tree- Pick up a paper angel at participating locations: Adams County Courthouse, Curves, Grand Marsh State Bank, BMO Harris Bank, Nekoosa Port Edwards State Bank and Royal Bank. Each angel represents a child and includes gender, age and gift request. Deliver wrapped gifts back to the location by December 8, 2014. Gifts will be delivered on Dec. 12th. Cash donations can also be sent to: Angel Tree Kids, PO Box 561, Friendship, WI 53934. To apply for the program, stop into Adams County Human Services through Nov. 14, 2014.
- Hope’s Door (Wisconsin Rapids)- Toys for the “Christmas for Kids” program can be donated through Toys for Tots. People can also donate new clothing or gift cards by Dec. 3. To receive a gift, fill out an application by Dec. 3, 2014. Hope’s Door is open Monday-Wednesday, 9am - 4pm.
- Star of Love Tree / Rapids Mall (Wisconsin Rapids)- Star of Love Tree is displayed at Rapids Mall until December 3rd. Select a Christmas card with a child’s age, gender and interests. Drop off wrapped gift and Christmas card at the Senior Craft Shoppe in the Rapids Mall by December 3rd. Gifts are distributed by Hope’s Door. To receive a gift, apply at Hope’s Door by December 3, 2014.
- River Run Senior Living (Wisconsin Rapids) - “Stuff the Stocking” campaign begins November 14 and runs until December 12. Bring in new, unwrapped toys, new clothing and winter jackets for children ages 4-11 years old. Donations will be stuffed into a 17 foot long stocking! Donations will be taken to the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department. River Run has a secure entry so please call first: 715-421-1400.
- Toys for Tots (Adams County) - Adams-Columbia Electric Cooperative (ACEC) will be collecting toys. Please drop off donations at 401 E. Lake St., Friendship, until December 5th. To receive a toy donation, please apply at Adams County Health and Human Services, 108 E. North St., Friendship. Applications will be available until November 14, 2014. After that date please call ACEC at 800-831-8629.
- Toys for Tots (South Wood County)- Deliver new unwrapped gifts to one of the South Wood County locations through Dec. 8, 2014. Call 2-1-1 or visit http://wisconsin-rapids-wi.toysfortots.org for a complete listing of locations. Toys should be new and under $30. To receive a gift, please register through Hope’s Door by Dec. 3, 2014.
- Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department Christmas Toy and Gift Drive- Donate new/gently used unwrapped toys or monetary donations. Gifts will be distributed by social workers and counselors at the Wisconsin Rapids School District. Monetary donations are used to purchase gift certificates for older children. Donations of clothing also accepted. Drop off donations to either fire department Mon. through Fri. 8am - 5pm by Dec. 17. Monetary donations can be dropped of at Fire Station One or mailed to: Wisconsin Rapids Fire Dept., Attn: Mike Lisitza, 1511 12th St. S., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494. To receive a donation through this program, contact your school social worker or counselor.
- Wood County Human Services “Christmas Cheer Club” - Monetary donations and gift cards to provide gifts for local children in need. Please send your donations to: Jodie Knuteson, Wood County Human Services, PO Box 8095, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495-8095. You may also drop off your donations at the Wood County Human Services Department on the third floor of the Wood County Courthouse, weekdays between 8am to 4:30pm.
- Adams County Food Pantry- Donate canned goods, dry goods, and personal care items. Monetary donations accepted. Call 608-393-2641 to receive a food donation.
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner (Wisconsin Rapids) - Event is held at St. Luke’s Church on Thanksgiving Day from 12-1:30pm. All are invited to participate.
- DNR Wisconsin Deer Donation Program - Donate your deer to one of these processing locations and it will be delivered to local food programs. Please call first. In Adams County: drop off your deer to Hartnell’s Wild Game in Arkdale, and the meat will be delivered to Big Spring Church & Food Pantry in Oxford, and the Central Wisconsin Community Action Program in Wisconsin Dells. In south Wood County: drop off your deer to A&B Butchering in Rudolph or Strictly Wild Processing in Wisconsin Rapids and the meat will be delivered to The Family Center, Christian Life Fellowship’s Food Pantry and SWEPS.
- South Wood County Hunger Coalition - Donate non-perishable foods that are nutritious and wholesome. Food that is donated to the South Wood County Hunger Coalition will be distributed to local food programs, including food pantries and backpack programs. Bring donations to the United Way of Inner Wisconsin office.
- Thanksgiving Day Dinner (Adams County) - Event is held at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Adams, 243 N. Linden St. on Thanksgiving Day from noon to 2pm. All are welcome; no charge. For deliveries, call the Senior Center by Nov. 17th: 608-339-4251 (Meals on Wheels participants only). Monetary donations accepted to purchase food.
- The Lowell Center (Wisconsin Rapids) - Donations of non- perishable food items will be collected at the Lowell Center during November and December. These items will be donated to The Family Center and to local food pantries in time for the holidays.
- Coats for Kids (Adams County)- Donations of gently used outerwear can be dropped off at Practical Cents, marked “For Coats for Kids,” during normal business hours. Monetary donations can be mailed to Laurie Falash, 1929 W. 13th Ct., Friendship, WI 53934. 608-547-6829 after 4:30pm.
- Coats for Kids (South Wood County)- Donate new/gently used winter wear (coats, snow pants, hats, mittens). Every coat size welcome. Drop off at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Rapids Mall, Solarus, Wood County Sheriff’s Dept., Bulls Eye Credit Union, Baker Street IGA, Traditions Cleaners and Wal-Mart through Dec. 14, 2014.
- Operation Warm (Adams County)- Make a monetary donation; new coats are purchased in volume at a discounted price and distributed to needy individuals. Contact Laurie Falash at 608-547-6829 after 4:30pm.
- Operation Warm (South Wood County)- Make a monetary donation; new coats are purchased in volume at a discounted price and distributed. Visit www.operationwarm.org/wisconsin-rapids to donate online or contact the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Dept.
- South Wood County YMCA - Donate NEW unwrapped children’s and adult pajamas, hats, mittens and scarves to the“Give the Gift of Warmth” Program Dec. 1 -14, 2014. Gifts will be given to families in need in the community and to The Family Center. Drop off locations are the SWC YMCA - 211 Wisconsin River Drive, Port Edwards or 1421 Pepper Ave., Wisconsin Rapids.
- The Lowell Center (Wisconsin Rapids) - Donations of mittens, scarves, hats and gloves will be collected at the Lowell Center during November and December. These items will be donated to The Family Center in time for the holidays.
- Town of Rome (Adams County) - Donations of knit scarves, caps and mittens are needed and will be distributed to every child enrolled in the Adams County Head Start program. Donations can be dropped off at the Town of Rome Municipal Building by Thanksgiving. Any leftovers will be taken to Hope’s Door.
- Wisconsin Rapids Area School’s Caring Closet - Keep Kids Warm- Donations of coats, boots, snow pants, winter hats, gloves, mittens and scarves are accepted at Caring Closet. Students who need outer clothing can contact their school social worker or counselor.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Donate holiday crafts, Christmas decor and baked goods/snacks to the Christmas Bazaar which will be held December 6, 2014 at Steve’s Rental and Service (940 Huntington Ave, Wisconsin Rapids) from 9am-4pm.
- South Wood County Humane Society- Donate broken or unused Christmas lights and aluminum cans. These materials are recycled and the proceeds benefit the Humane Society.
- Wisconsin Lions Foundation, Inc. “We Want Your Hide” Program- Donate your deer hides to the following locations and the proceeds will benefit the Wisconsin Lion’s Camp - a summer camp for youth with disabilities. In Adams County, drop off at 1432 17th Ave, Arkdale and Chucka’s Bar in Oxford; in south Wood County drop off at JC Enterprises, John Henry Auto Repair, McDonald Trucking and RCO Computers.