In 1942 the South Wood County Community War Chest was incorporated. It was later amended to the South Wood County Community Chest.
In 1958 our organization experienced another name change, the South Wood County United Fund, Inc. and raised $72,000 in its first-ever annual campaign.
In 1972, there was another name change, to United Way of South Wood County, and the Helping Hand Logo was introduced nationally and adopted locally.
In 1974, our first office was located in downtown Wisconsin Rapids; our first executive director was hired in 1975.
The Planned Giving and Endowment Program was established in 1984.
The Volunteer Center was added in 1990.
In 1992, we celebrated our 50th Anniversary.
In 2000, we moved into our current location at 351 Oak Street, Wisconsin Rapids.
In 2001, we joined the Marshfield Area United Way's "First Call."
In 2002, 2-1-1 was established by the Federal Communications Commission, so we changed the name "First Call" to "United Way's 2-1-1."
The 2-1-1 call center was moved to our location in Wisconsin Rapids in 2003.
A final name change was implemented in 2007 when we incorporated the Adams County campaign and became United Way of Inner Wisconsin.
The Women's Leadership Council was created in 2012. The name was later changed to Women United in 2017.
In 2017 we also celebrated our 75th Anniversary.