Who We Are
Since 2016, the Youth Success Coalition has been focusing efforts on how we can further support the youth here in our community outside of the school day to enhance their personal growth, character development and academic achievement. In 2017, youth from local schools and attendees of current youth-based programming joined the discussions and are helping to create strategies to achieve the coalition’s goal, “Children have access to mentors, role models and enrichments outside of the school day in a safe environment which enhances personal growth, character development and academic achievement.” The coalition is, at this time, focusing efforts for youth in 6th-8th grade. Some of the outcomes that the coalition will work to achieve during 2018 include:
- Increase awareness of enrichments available
- Increase awareness of needs for volunteers and mentors
- Increase participation of community at coalition meetings
- Increase awareness of the coalition and its goal throughout the community
- Increase volunteer opportunities for 6th-8th graders
- Increase peer mentoring (peer= older youth, 9th-12th graders)
- Increase access to enrichments which enhance personal growth, character development and academic achievement, specifically 6th-8th graders
We always welcome those from the community with an interest in this topic to join us at the table for this work.
Did You Know...
- Eight sophomore students were given an opportunity to meet with a community member professional to further explore and learn about a career they were interested in through the coalition’s pilot program, “Career Connect” created and implemented by the coalition.
- 15 professionals in the community volunteered to provide tours and answer questions with students during the “Career Connect” pilot program in the spring of 2017.
- Youth Success will have youth from various organizations joining coalition meetings in fall 2017 to further the work of the coalition.
- Organizations at the table are collaborating and creating opportunities for more youth to participate in after school and summer programming.